Let’s Talk Coffee® Rwanda 2017 will feature optional field trips to coffee cooperatives in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda. Interested in visiting a cooperative not listed here? Custom Rwanda field trips can be arranged; please email us at LTC2017@sustainableharvest.com with your desired destination and we will follow up with you.
Democratic Republic of Congo Field Trip
June 5-6, 2017
On June 5-6, attendees can choose to attend an overnight field trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo. The price for the trip is $400 USD, which includes transportation, food, lodging, and all field trip activities.
The DRC Field Trip Overview and Itinerary
The DRC field trip will take attendees into an emerging coffee origin brimming with opportunity and distinct flavor profiles. The two cooperatives that participants will visit will be announced soon.
The itinerary for the DRC trip is as follows:
- 6:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. — Travel from Kigali to the DRC
- 1:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m. — Lunch Break
- 1:30 p.m.-5.00 p.m. — Cooperative #1 tour
- 5.00 p.m.-5.30 p.m. — Travel to Hotel
- 7.30 p.m.—9.00 p.m. — Dinner with cooperative
- 6.00 a.m.-8.30 a.m. — Breakfast at hotel
- 8:30 a.m.-9.30 a.m. — Travel to cooperative #2
- 9.30 a.m.-12.00 p.m. — Cooperative #2 tour
- 12:00 p.m. -2.00 p.m. — Lunch at cooperative #2
- 2:00 p.m. -7:00 p.m. — Travel back to Kigali with stop at Nyungwe National Park
Important Travel Information
As the DRC field trip takes place before the main event, be sure to book your flights and hotel to accommodate the extra days required to attend the trip. For more information on travel dates and hotel booking, visit the Venue and Travel page.
Rwanda Field Trip
June 10, 2017
On June 10, attendees can choose to attend a day-long field trip to either the Twongere Umusaruro cooperative or the Dukunde Kawa cooperative. The field trips occur simultaneously, therefore it is not possible to attend both. The trip costs $150 USD, which includes transportation, lunch, and all field trip activities.
Twongere Umusaruro trip overview and itinerary
Attendees on this trip will visit Twongere Umusaruro (which translates as “Increase Production”), a cooperative made up of 125 women and 10 men coffee growers from Eastern Rwanda’s Rukara Sector in the Kayonza District. Sustainable Harvest® Rwanda came to Kayonza District in 2013 and began working with Twongere Umusaruro, providing the cooperative with agricultural and technical assistance in coffee. That assistance included training programs in best agricultural practices, including pruning, mulching, composting, harvest, and post-harvest handling. In the summer of 2014, Twongere Umusaruro began construction of its own coffee washing station with the support of the community, Sustainable Harvest® Rwanda, and the local government. This washing station not only acts as a processing facility, but serves as a symbol of transformation, allowing the coop and its members to claim ownership over the sun-dried coffee coming from the washing station.
The itinerary for the field trip to Twongere Umusaruro on June 10 is as follows:
- 7.00 a.m.-9.30 a.m. — Travel to Twongere Umusaruro
- 9.30 a.m.-12.30 p.m. — Cooperative tour, including meeting with farmers and visiting farms, washing station, and cupping lab
- 12.30 p.m.-2.00 p.m. — Lunch with cooperative
- 2.00 p.m.-4.30 p.m. — Travel back to Kigali
Dukunde Kawa Trip Overview and Itinerary
Attendees on this trip will visit Dukunde Kawa, a cooperative of 2,142 farmers (80% of whom are women) that cultivate antique Bourbon varieties on Gakenke district’s verdant slopes in northern Rwanda, harvesting red ripe cherries in the cool mountain air. Dukunde Kawa’s land ranges from 1,500 to higher than 2,000 meters, and with two annual periods of rainfall, the area’s micro-climates create a wonderfully complex, distinct terroir. Cooperative leadership, including a democratically elected president, administrative board, management team, and general assembly, has steadily improved the organization’s agronomic and processing practices, so that Dukunde Kawa today produces extraordinary lots and institutes the best environmental and social programs.
The itinerary for the field trip to Dukunde Kawa on June 10 is as follows:
- 7:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m. — Travel to Dukunde Kawa
- 9:30 a.m.-12:30 a.m. — Cooperative tour, including meeting with farmers and visiting farms, washing station, and cupping lab
- 12:30 p.m.-2:00 p.m. — Lunch with cooperative
- 2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. — Travel back to Kigali
IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFORMATION
As the Rwanda field trips take place the day after the main event ends, be sure to book your flights and hotel to accommodate the extra day required to attend the field trip. For more information on travel dates and hotel booking, visit the Venue and Travel page.