Venue and Travel
EVENT DATES AND LOCATION
Let’s Talk Coffee® Rwanda will take place June 17-21, 2019. The setting will be the Serena Hotel in Kigali, Rwanda’s capital and largest city. The Kigali Serena is a 5-star hotel located in the city center near the financial district and city hall. Apart from field trips to the coffeelands of Rwanda, all event activities will take place at the Kigali Serena. As a result, we recommend attendees book their lodging at the Kigali Serena—please see the lodging section below for more information.
Let’s Talk Coffee® attendees should fly into Kigali International Airport (KGL) on Sunday, June 16. Departure times vary depending on field trip participation:
- Attending the Mayogi field trip: Depart from Kigali International Airport (KGL) June 20 at 7:30 pm or later (Depending on flight availability, you may have to stay an additional night and depart June 21)
- Attending the Fair Trade field trip: Depart from Kigali International Airport (KGL) June 21.
- Attending the Nyampinga field trip: Depart from Kigali International Airport (KGL) June 21 at 5:00 pm or later.
- Not attending a field trip: Depart from Kigali International Airport (KGL) June 20.
Learn more about the schedule for the event on the program page.
Lodging is not included in the price of registration. We recommend staying at the Kigali Serena Hotel, where Let’s Talk Coffee® attendees receive a special rate.
- For Let’s Talk Coffee attendees, a single room with one bed is $180 USD per night. For a room with two beds, the price is $220 USD per night.
- To book your room at the Kigali Serena with the Let’s Talk Coffee® special rate, email email@example.com and mention code LTC RWANDA
Your check-in and check-out dates for the event will be:
- Check-in: June 16
- Check-out dates vary by field trip:
- Mayogi field trip: Check-out the day your flight departs from Rwanda.
- Fair Trade field trip: Check-out June 21.
- Nyampinga field trip: Check-out June 20.
- Not attending a field trip: Check-out June 20.
If availability at the Serena is limited or you wish to stay elsewhere, we also recommend the following Kigali hotels:
A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION
If you have the time, we encourage you to arrive earlier to or depart later from Rwanda to enjoy the tourist attractions the country has to offer. Here are a few suggestions:
TOP THINGS TO DO
- Kigali Genocide Memorial: Free entry, though there is a charge for audio and guided tours
- Akagera National Park: The park is located in the Eastern Province, a 2-hour drive from Kigali. With the recent re-introduction of black rhinos and lions, Rwanda is now home to the “big-five.”
- If you are interested in an official city tour, GoKigali offers half-day and full Kigali city tours for $55 and $85 respectively.
FOOD & DRINK
- Coffee: Question Coffee Cafe (Gishushu KG 8 # 8)
- Indian Cuisine: Khana Khazana (Kiyovu & Nyarutarama)
- International Cuisine (Mixture): The Hut (Kimihurura, Behind Convention Center)
- French Cuisine: L’Epicurien (Kimihurura)
- Chinese Cuisine: Zen (Nyarutarama)
- Japanese Cuisine: Kiseki Authentic Japanese Restaurant (Kimihurura)
- Rwandan/African Cuisine: Chez John (Kiyovu), African Bite (Kimihurura)
- On Lake Kivu: Holiday Hotel (Kibuye)
Rwanda Travel Information
Electrical sockets in Rwanda are in the European shape and supply power at between 220 and 240 volts. We recommend bringing an adapter.
Nationals of all countries can obtain a visa upon arrival without prior application. For most nationals, including United States citizens, the fee is $30 and can paid at the airport upon arrival or online prior to your departure. Click here to learn more.
The currency in Rwanda is the Rwandan franc. Conversion rates vary, but the U.S. dollar is about 1 to 900 Rwandan francs. Credit cards and US Dollars issued after 2006 are also widely accepted.
Attendees should expect warm temperatures—the highs in Kigali during June are around 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Kigali is on GMT+2 time, which is nine hours ahead of Pacific Daylight Time and six hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.